Wyburns believes that Physical Education (PE), experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. We teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. We also, teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
- PE at Wyburns provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; Basic skills, Dance, Gymnastics, Invasion Games, Net and Wall games, Striking and Fielding, Outdoor Skills.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities. Lunchtime clubs are held and we offer a variety of after school clubs a week.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Each year, children are elected to become sports ambassadors for their Class. We have 2 representatives (3 in UKS2) per class. Their aim is to support the P.E lead in promoting a love for sport throughout the school.
- We have many outside experts come in and share their knowledge over the course of the year. Children have been able to train with South End United, work on their P.E skills but also develop their mental well-being in courses and blocks of learning.
- Children in KS2 have the opportunity to swim for 10 weeks every year. This ensures that we have a high rate of success in Y6. It gives all our children to develop their swimming (a life skill) every year.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.