As SEND Navigators, we have been liaising with parents to gain an understanding of how our Essex parents of children and young people with SEND are feeling right now. You may recognise some of these yourselves in this current situation:
· Repetitive nature of days and routines
· Missing your own time and space and other adults' company
· How to help your children to understand what COVID-19 means
· Support for siblings within the home environment
· Ability to ‘see the end in sight’ and having something to look forward to
· How best can we support transition into school after an extensive break
Is there anything else that is causing you a concern at the current time? If so, please email us at TheSENDNavigators@essex.gov.uk
Autism: 11-year-old Elliott gives us his lockdown tips:
SEND: apps and games
(Apps must be downloaded onto a compatible device)
Description: a visual instruction app, including flash cards and picture-choosing games, for children with autism and special needs.
Description: a collection of games and resources designed for a range of educational needs and stages. It includes provision for school closure.
Sensory App House Ltd
Description: a range of apps are available for pupils with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD) or Severe Learning Difficulties (SLD). All are interactive and many do not require significant coordination abilities.
Description: an all-in-one app created to support people with communication and learning difficulties. For verbal and non-verbal learners.